Saturday, August 10, 2013

Scuba Diving in Japan

Before Jeremy left, I promised myself that I would do more writing, and I have failed, miserably, in that aspect.  So, in the interest of keeping that promise to myself, I thought I'd tell you about a recent adventure of mine.  While I'd like to be one of those cool, outdoorsy type people that are always kayaking or canoeing or hiking or whatever else those types of people do, in reality, I am more of a sit-on-facebook, or let's-go-to-a-bar type of girl.  That being said, I do love the water!  Whether it be a gorgeous beach, floatin' on the river, or just a swimming pool, I really love being in the water, or even just near it.  Naturally, then, when my new friend, Emiko, asked me to go scuba diving with her, I was like, "YES!!!"

Y'all, I'm really like a fish.  I love to swim.  I don't have any real technique, though.  I took swimming lessons for two years when I was little, and they just didn't take.  I was beginning to think that I'd never learn.  But, my childhood best friend, Amy, didn't give up on me!  She did what those instructors couldn't.  She taught me to swim!  I guess we were somewhere between four and six years old, so I'm sure you can imagine that Amy's way of swimming wasn't the conventional way.  She didn't teach me the butterfly, or how to swim with a perfect stroke.  That didn't matter, though.  The fact is, I learned to swim, and loved it.  I was never the girl that liked to lay out by the pool; I wanted to be in the pool.  Now that I'm older, I do enjoy laying by the pool, but I still love being in it, too.  I've swam in lots of different bodies of water, and with one exception, loved them all.  (That one exception is a non-issue.  I saw how big the waves were, but went in anyway.  I was a stupid girl, but mistakes are how we learn!)

Because of my love for the water, and for swimming, when Emi said scuba diving, I thought, "Piece of cake!"  I'm sure, then, you can understand my frustration when, after listening to the instructor, and putting on all that heavy equipment, the first time I put my face under the water, I was terrified.  I'm not sure that really conveys my emotion at the time, maybe TERRIFIED!!! is a better way of putting it.  You know, the people you see on tv scuba diving make it look so easy.  They just toss on that vest with a tank, and roll off of a boat.  First, no one can just toss that stuff on.  It is seriously heavy.  It's not just the tank that's heavy, that vest has weights in its pockets.  I had no idea!  I would normally say, "Second" here and launch into why they can't just roll off the boat like that, but we didn't use a boat, so I'd just be basing that off of my own opinion, and not fact.  But, in my own opinion, with all that equipment on, rolling off a boat wouldn't be easy.  Falling off of one?  Yes!  That would be very easy, and would probably happen to me!

I got a little bit sidetracked, there.  Let's get back to why I was so terrified.  I think that I let one little fear worm its way into my brain, and there it multiplied.  It started when I got water in my mask, and the next thing I know, I'm picturing myself being deep underwater and not being able to come up.  Yep, I went to crazy town!  There were several times that I went under, and couldn't stay there longer than a minute or two.  The whole thing is just very weird feeling at first.  You're underwater.  You're breathing underwater.  It's not natural!  And, if you start thinking of all the possible things that can go wrong, like I did, it is very scary.  I kept coming right back up, and I was starting to feel like this wasn't going to happen for me.  I was about thisclose to just giving up.  I seriously wanted to quit. Emi kept saying, "It's ok, you'll get used to it."  I was thinking that she was a crazy person and that no normal human could ever just "get used to it!"  

Then a very crazy thing happened.  I went under, and I wasn't scared.  What?!  I did, indeed, "get used to it!"  I don't know how it happened, but I am so very thankful that it did!  Had I quit when I wanted to, I would have missed out on such an amazing experience!  Y'all, I got to feed fish.  Underwater.  Out of my hand!  It was awesome!  I saw a baby octopus, sea urchins, and tons of fish!  At one point, I looked around, and I was in the middle of a huge school of fish!  I don't think that I can even think of the right words to use that would do justice to describing my experience.  I've got pictures, though!  

This was the first time I used my underwater camera...I can adjust the settings so that the photos turn out clearer, but I didn't know that in time for this trip!  Next time, the photos will be even better!  (This is the school of fish)
My flippers!

I'm feeding fish!  It's just too cool!


That's me!!!  I can't wait to do it again!
Also, the place that Emi took me to for this little adventure is called Osezaki.  Google it.  Right now.  Haha!  Seriously, though, this was probably (definitely) the most beautiful place I've ever seen in person.  It's like a little cove.  It's not a white sand beach, it's more like gravel, but that does not take away from the beauty.  Actually, it feels nice to lay on, with a towel between you and the gravel, of course.  As beautiful as the beach is, it is nothing compared to the view.  On a clear day you can see Mt. Fuji right there from the beach!  It is quite literally breathtaking!  I think that may be the first time I have ever used that word, but it's true, and I wasn't even there on a clear day!  I have to go back there.  I have to see that view again, and God willing, it will be a completely clear day!  Even if it's not, the view is still amazing, and I'll still love it.  You can still see the mountains even when it's not clear, but you just can't see as much of them.


Seriously, have you ever seen a place more beautiful?!



If this had been a clear day, you'd see Mt. Fuji in this photo!
I threw this one in for fun! These poor baby crabs were all dried up!
Scuba diving taught me a lesson in perseverance, and I am so happy that I did not give up!  I am thankful that Emi and the instructor were patient with me, and kept encouraging me.  You know what else?  I am so very thankful for my wonderful husband, without whom this experience might never have happened.  I love him so much, and miss him every second of every day.  I did learn that scuba diving will take your mind off of your deployment woes, even if only for a little while!  

Here are a few more photos that I took while walking around the area by the dive shop.  I think they're pretty nifty!

Torii Gate (usually these mark the entrance to a shrine or temple)
The torii gate and Emi
I can't remember what this is. Possibly a temple.
Torii gate and shrine

This is where you wash your hands and mouth before entering the shrine
Not a clue, just thought it was neat! Ha!
This tree is alive, but looks like drift wood! Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment